- Local area
Cerro de La Cruz
Don’t miss out on breathtaking views of La Antigua from this hill, which can be accessed by a police escort from Parque Central. The “cruz” refers to a large stone cross, installed on the hill in 1930.
San Francisco Church
This 16th-century Franciscan church is best known as the burial place and shrine of Saint Joseph Betancur (Santo Hermano Pedro), and is visited by thousands of religious pilgrims yearly.
San Jeronimo Church and Convent
This church and school were built over the course of 20 years during the mid-18th century. It was damaged by the 1773 earthquake, and subsequently abandoned; today, the restored ruins are the site of frequent cultural events.
El Convento de Capuchinas
This lovely 18th century convent is notable for its interesting underground passages. After suffering damage from two earthquakes that devastated Antigua in 1751 and 1773, the convent has been lovingly restored in recent decades and provides a glimpse into the life of the nuns who lived there.
Tanque la Unión
This colorful public building was designed as a gathering place for socializing and doing laundry. Originally built in 1853, it was restored in 1979 and is still used today for its original purpose.
Santa Catalina’s Arch
One of Antigua’s favorite landmarks, this arch was originally built in the 17th century, with the clock tower portion added in the 1830s when Antigua was part of the Central American Federation.
This beautiful park attracts local Antigüeños and visitors from all over the world. Vendors, school children, and tourists flock here to gaze at the famous central fountain, a 1936 reconstruction of the original version from 1738. Stop in at the Museum of Colonial Art while you’re here.
Palacio del Ayuntamiento
This historic building dating from the mid 18th century overlooks the Parque Central; it is the home to the municipal offices of the city, as well as the Museo del Libro Antigua, which displays a coveted first edition of Don Quixote de la Mancha (Part II).
Palacio de los Capitanes
Located in the city’s central square and first constructed in the 16th century, this building was once home to the General Captaincy of Guatemala (hence its name). Today, it houses tourism-related and administrative offices.
Portal de Las Panaderas
Spanish for the “Bakery Arcade”, this corridor is home to several cafes, where delicious bread, pastries, and coffee can be purchased.
El Convento Boutique Hotel Restaurant
Restaurant Elu ... a fusion of flavors that will delight your senses.
El Convento Boutique Hotel
2a Avenida Norte #11,
"Wonderful respite"scottymelad - Washington
"Destination Wedding"Tim L